Methi or fenugreek mixed vegetable paratha recipe is the simplest and delicious paratha. Parathas are unleavened Indian flat bread, can be prepared with any local masala and vegetables of choice. I love preparing parathas as they are easy to prepare and highly nutritious. They are thicker than normal chapati. This can be served for breakfast, lunch or dinner. These can be prepared either by stuffing or by simply mixing with flours. Whenever I am lazy to prepare subzi for chapatti or have to make my kids eat the veggies they are not interested, this is how I prepare and feed my family.
I love the aroma of methi leaves and often end up making lots of dishes with it. Methi leaves are aromatic and iron rich, it pairs well with vitamin C rich cabbage and starchy sweet corn. By combining all these, you can boost flavour and nutrient content of paratha. It is a great accompaniment to curd, butter and lemon pickle. These form a very good tiffin box snack too.
Below is the stepwise recipe, do try this and have a nutritious meal
Course: Paratha/Indian flat bread
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 45 mins
Serves: 5 nos
Whole wheat flour – 1½ cup
Corn meal flour – ½ cup
Refined oil – ¼ cup
Cumin or jeera -1 tsp
Onion (finely chopped)- ¾ cup
Garlic (finely chopped) – 1 tbsp
Methi or fenugreek leaves (chopped) -2 cups
Sweet corn (cooked) – ¾ cup
Green chili – 3-4 nos
Cabbage (cooked) – ¾ cup
Chat masala – 1 tbsp
Lemon juice – 1 tsp
Salt as per taste
- Take a fine chopper, add cooked sweet corn and green chilli, coarsely mash them. Keep this aside.
- Take a pan, add oil, sauté cumin, next sauté finely chopped onion and garlic.
- Add the chopped methi leaves and fry until it becomes soft.
- Add mashed sweet corn and green chilli paste. Mix well.
- Now add the cooked cabbage and mix well. At the end add chat masala, salt and lemon juice.
- Mix everything once and cook on medium flame until the masala becomes slightly dry.
- Cool the mixture and later add corn meal, mix the dough.
- Finally add whole wheat flour, adjust salt and little oil, mix everything without water to prepare smooth and soft dough.
- Close and keep for 15 mins. Take small dough balls and roll them into thick paratha. Cook on hot tawa with generous amount of oil. Cook on both sides until light brown spots are seen. Serve these hot methi mix vegetable paratha with lemon pickle and thick sweet curd.
Cornmeal flour can be skipped and replaced with whole wheat flour.
The same masala can be used for stuffing and paratha can be prepared.
Adjust the quantity of whole wheat flour to the masala, the moisture in the masala is enough to prepare the dough. If you find the dough to be dry, little water can be added.